Sterile Processing Technician
Make a difference with a career in healthcare.
This certificate program trains you to become a Sterile Processing Technician, where you will play an important role in patient care by preventing infections. In this program, you will learn how to sterilize medical instruments, learn basic surgical instrumentation and medical terminology as well as decontamination and sterilization processes.
Let us help you find success through a stable career
Sterile processing technicians play a critical role in keeping patients healthy by ensuring medical instrumentation and equipment is sterile. Their work helps patients avoid infections while receiving treatment. They also maintain the functionality and inventory of health care and surgical equipment. The SPT can work in a sterile processing department and central service department in a variety of health care facilities, including hospitals, dental or eye care practices, plastic surgery offices, surgery centers and laboratories. You will contribute to a team of sterile processing technicians who are all working together to maintain sterilization and storage.
Upon completion of the Sterile Processing Technician program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate basic technical skills in managing the process for surgical instrumentation sterilization, inventory control and supply chain management, and information technology as it relates to the sterile processing environment.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors of caring, accountability, responsibility, respect for the quality care of patients, acceptable attitude and attire, and organization and time management skills.
- Work independently in a team of central sterile processing technicians who are collaborating to maintain sterilization and storage.
- Utilize critical thinking skills as a basis for clinical judgment and anticipatory decision making when managing all tasks related to sterile processing.
- Effectively apply verbal, nonverbal, and written communication principles and skills in the workplace.
- Maintain industry standards of quality control and safety principles in the workplace.
- Uphold legal and ethical standards and adhere to principles of patient confidentiality within the health care community environment as defined by HIPAA
Contact us today to find out how to get started and on your way to a rewarding career!
Weeks: 16 or 32 Credits: 32
- Introduction to Sterile Processing
- Computer Operations
- Sterile Processing Technology
- Sterilization Practices
- Quality Assurance, Inventory Management, and Record-keeping
- Principles of Aseptic Techniques
- Fundamentals of Health Care
- Career Strategies
Students enroll in this program to seek post-graduation employment in positions typically including:
- Central Processing & Distribution Technician (CPD Tech)
- Central Processing Technician (CPT)
- Central Sterile Processing Technician
- Central Sterile Supply Technician (CSS Tech)
- Instrument Technician
- Sterile Processing & Distribution Technician (SPD Tech)
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will receive a certificate of achievement.
This program is designed to prepare graduates to pursue entry-level employment in the field, or jobs in related fields, the specific job titles of which may not be represented in the program title or described above. Although the School will assist students with job placement, finding a job is the individual responsibility of the student. The School does not guarantee that any student will be placed in any of the jobs described, or placed at all.